Friday, March 2, 2012

Slice of Life 2012 #2

Yesterday throughout the day, I had many thoughts of what I would write today for my Slice of Life.  Then I came home and read some amazing post from others. We are not that different by Mardie and Stories Over Coffee by Cathy Mere are two of my favorite.  I began thinking, I can't write at this level.

As I was reflecting on my own writing and some of the AMAZING writing I was reading, I was reminded of Tony Keefer's words last weekend at the Dublin Literacy Conference.  He said, "We need to commit to create a place where all writing is valued.  Regardless of where or what level they are."

I am entering my classroom today with a new perspective of how many students feel if they are not writing those AMAZING stories.  I am reflecting today on what I can do as a writer to work toward AMAZING writing myself and how I can celebrate all student writing and help them work toward AMAZING writing.

6 comments:

  1. Perfectly stated ... and Tony's words are pure magic and inspiration.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written! What Tony says is so true. I am having my third graders participate too. This morning was so powerful as they excitedly brought in their Slice of Life journals. One of my boys who refused to write at the beginning of the year was so proud of his work. That made my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you in having your 3rd graders participate. I'm sure they will learn about themselves as writers as we are. I'm really trying to "practice what I preach" with the Slice to Life 2012.

      Delete
  4. I love your reflection today! I read both of those slices as well, and found I was comparing myself to those writers, and falling short. As an adult, I was able to move past those feelings, and just celebrate their lovely words.
    I didn't get to attend Tony's session, but his words are all too true. We all come with different skills; an important thing to remember as we work with our own students.
    Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. Looking forward to continuing this journey with you and so many other WONDERful writers and using their writing to inspire and benefit my own writing.

      Delete